12.21.2006

The Bible and Society

The Ten Commandments in a courthouse? Prayer in public schools? Saying the "Pledge of Allegiance"? Using a nickel that says "In God We Trust"? The President's hand on a Bible as he is sworn into office? It seems sometimes that the line separating church and state is not as well-defined as once thought. Even at the dawn of the 21st century, when technology is king and when the world is accessible at the click of a mouse, it appears that the Bible (an admittedly archaic document) still has some relevance. In what ways, for good or bad, do you think the Bible influences modern society(ies)?

16 comments:

professor's tag-along said...

The separation of church and state is clearly driven by political motives. In a country such as ours where each person is trying their best (personally and professionally) not to offend anyone (because they might be sued), we have lost our ability to feel comfortable standing up for what we believe as followers of Jesus. The Bible has a profound effect on us personally -- but as a nation or group of people -- the Bible is used as a "weapon." That is, my way of interpreting the Bible is the ONLY way. For me, the Bible reveals God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit to me. In that revelation, I read, feel, and know the love of God. When I really live that love out in my life by sharing it with others, the Bible has influenced society in an incredible way!

Anonymous said...

I agree with rev2prof in saying that the Bible does have a profound affect on us personally. It is so true that we live in a society today where we are walking on eggshells because of trying so hard not to offend someone. It's almost as if many take it personally. Our country was founded on Christianity and I believe that those traditions are still just as relevant today, and should still be applied (ten commandments, sworn in by Bible, etc.). Also, the Bible contains many core values that are applicable to us. Many are found and demonstrated in the Bible, for example, the golden rule. This is just one, but there are many others that influence our very short time we have on earth.

Anonymous said...

I feel that our country is trying too hard to seperate state and religion. If the president is sworn in on the bible then we should be allowed to pray in schools.

Anonymous said...

I believe our country was founded on God, and it saddens me to see that people are so caught up in doing things their way, that we have completely lost sight of the very reason we live in such a wonderful country. It is only by the grace of God that we live in a free country and are free to make our own choices. Maybe if we would stop to remember that, we wouldn't be working so hard to eliminate Him. Unfortunatley, it seems to me that our society has taken advantage of gift God has given us, and used it for selfish personal gain.

Deanna Johnson said...

I think the Bible has both negative and positive ways of influencing modern socities. I do not think anyone should be telling people what to believe because that is the persons' choice to believe or not. Telling and preaching to others what to believe and what not to believe is what I think the negative influence on modern society. I think this because like I stated earlier it is a choice. Some may become angry and upset to others trying to preach the beliefs. The Bible on the other hand as positively influenced modern society because it has helped to create many of the laws we go by today. Without these laws society would be a mess. Also in times of need it helps socities reach out and come together.

Anonymous said...

In regard to our (American) society today- the question of the Bible's influence (good or bad)is a difficult one as far as I am concerned. Many are obviously opposed to the Bible influencing our society (especially evident among those who have taken Jefferson's "serparation" clause out of context i.e. separation of church and state) Like it or not, the fact of the matter is, the United States was founded on Godly principles, and in my opinion should remain One Nation Under God. Whether or not the Bible has had a positive or negative impact on our modern society, I think only time will tell.

AJF said...

Even though the Bible still has influence on today’s society, I think it is starting to have less and less influence today compared to years ago. This is why there are so many arguments about the separation of church and state. I know that the Bible still has a lot of influence on some groups of people, and I think that is a good influence because it still provides the general guidelines for people to follow when they are lost.

manga said...

in my opinion,people try to hide themselves behind the Bible'words. they do not apply what they are saying.they use the bible for other ends than what they should use the bible for.for example if the ten commandements is in application in the courthouse, why do we still have some many divorces? adultery is consider somehow as if it was normal.People try to show that they are living biblically but they do not in reality.

Anonymous said...

I believe that the Bible has both a positive and negative effect on our modern society. The Bible has a negative effect when teachers at public schools try to preach on influence their views on the students. The positive effect is that our country was created with the belief of God and the Bible. I feel that it is alright for students to say the pledge of allegiance, and for the President to be sworn in by placing his hand on the Bible.

Anonymous said...

For me personally just in general for not having really read the Bible I don't really pay attention to what it says. However I don't think that we really do know for sure what is fact and what is fiction in the Bible. I think that the Bible itself since it has been written by many people allows you to take what you want from it as well as being able to form your own beliefs around what they are saying is true or not as well as forming your complete own opinions towards how you feel about God and what you think he really did and didn't do. In regards to the Bible being authoriative, I used to think that the authority of it was crossing the line, you would have to believe this and that and think a certain way or you weren't a Christian. However now I feel that the Bible is only an example of a life you could lead and shows you examples of how to lead a certain life, it doesn't mean that if you don't follow everything in there makes you an less of a Christian. I think it takes discipline to live the kind of life that is described in the Bible and in my opinion it describes someone who is very close to perfection and I'm just someone who is far from it.

Anonymous said...

I believe that the Bible in society has been put down in the governemnt more recently. Anything that has to do with Christianity is questionable but if it's a Jewish person we should accept them. We can no longer say Merry Christmas, but happy holdays. If someone wishes to say happy honika or however you spell that we have to accept it. We are suppose to take off One nation under God in the pledge of allegiance? Who is that hurting? I say we should keep the little bit of God in our government that we do have, Merry Christmas!!

andersonj said...

I believe that people today might have to bring the bible into play in order for people to trust them more or to make it more convincing. In other words, people take the bible for granted. I think it's bad that when I was younger, everyday we had to say the pldege of allegiance but today we can't? I just don't get our society today. They support some things but contradict themselves right after it. Example where president has to sworn in on the bible but we can't talk about anything in the bible at school? If they want us to learn about different cultures and their Gods and so forth, why not learn it in school?

Anonymous said...

I believe that we should at least have the "Pledge of Allegiance" in schools because our country was founded on the Christian religion. Even if we are a not a Christian country, we should respect what happened to the country in the making of its name. Our Society was based on the Christian values, for example, don't kill, steal, and commit adultery. Many people in society still base many of their decisions because of what they have learned in their Christian up-bringing.

Anonymous said...

I Believe the Bible should be a part of society now days because we are a nation under God and we always will be. I mean what is wrong with saying the pledge of allegiance in schools? i think we have taken some things a little to far in schools. maybe taking prayer out of school is alright because some people have different beliefs. But i think the pledge of allegiance is just crazy we cant have it in schools.

Anonymous said...

I think that the Bible influences our society in many ways, but mostly for the better. The only ones fighting the use of it are the ones who don't use it themselves. Why should those few people who don't like it be able to take it away from the rest of us?
The bible has been part of our country since the beginning, I believe that it should stay that way.

Anonymous said...

I feel that there are more influences of the Bible in the United States than in Japan. That is because most of Japanese don’t have specific religions, and don’t have an opportunity to read the Bible. It depends on the ethics or morals of each person though; the Bible influences the fundamental of people’s idea. Ethics or morals depend on the each person’s background like education, family history, friends etc, and I think that the Bible is one of elements to make Ethics or morals in this society.