2.12.2007

To Interpret or to Not Interpret: That is the Question

"The Bible does not have answers to all of our questions. The Bible writers were unaware of many of today's issues (for example, cloning, the age of the earth, birth control, the depletion of the ozone layer, euthanasia). What role the Bible should play in thinking about these matters is not always clear. . . . Truth about the world has been made available to us through fields of inquiry not directly related to the Bible or the church (for example, astronomy and physics)." (Terence E. Fretheim, About the Bible: Short Answers to Big Questions [Minneapolis: Augsburg Fortress, 1999], 81).
In addition, sometimes the Bible has something to say about contemporary issues, but it may not be what we want to hear. For example, the Bible is pretty clear when it speaks about money, divorce, and same-sex intercourse. Yet, these (and others, like the role of women in the church) are the issues that have caused the most division between Christians. One of the biggest problems in reading the Bible is that it is an ancient document that Jews and Christians alike rely on to answer current questions. Essentially, the Bible is a first-century document often used to address twenty-first century problems.
To add to the problem, different people interpret the Bible in different ways. Some people may read the Bible for the entire message it offers, i.e., Jesus loves everyone, so it is important to accept people for who they are and love everyone. Others read individual passages in all parts of the Bible that relate to a particular topic and try to discern from them the Bible's position on the topic. Still others emphasize the laws and will derive their answers from them. In many respects, trying to find answers to current issues in the Bible becomes a question of interpretation and emphasis. What if the Bible is not clear on a particular issue? What are your recommendations for interpreting a book that does not always address our problems, yet a book that Christians rely on to inform faith and life? How does the way we read the Bible matter in addressing the important questions of life?

25 comments:

warriors22 said...

If the Bible is not clear on a situation, I think it's up to us as the reader to determine the meaning of it. For example I've read a scripture before and it didn't really mean anything to me, however, a couple years later after an event in my live that verse has a specific meaning and applies directly to me. I think that the Bible is written that way for a purpose. Every verse means something different from person to person. When a book doesn't address our problems, but is used by Christians to rely on to inform faith and life, I think we should look at the book from a different perspective. We need to see how others interpret the book and then deciper which meanings we think the book is tring to tell us. I think the way we read the Bible makes it unique to us. Not everyone will have the same answers to life so I don't think it's fair to say there is only one way to read and interpret the Bible. We don't all have the same questions on life, so our answers will all be different and they should be.

Anonymous said...

I think that the Bible is a little more clear on some issues than what people give it credit for. It seems so easy for people to try to justify their behavior by saying that the Bible doesn't speak against a particular issue, but in all honesty I think some things stated in the Bible have a pretty broad spectrum. For example, people say that the Bible doesn't say anything about abortion or the death penalty, yet one of the Ten Commandments is "Thou shall not kill", I think that in itself covers several issues. There are others as well. But as for the things that remain unclear, I believe that's when you need to seek God for your answers, as He is the only one that has all the answers.

jann said...

As mentioned in the blog, the bible was written to help with the issues that were current in that time. Although the Bible was written in the 1st century and can also be used as reference to some similar issues in the 21st century. Modern day issues such as abortion (and others) may not be addressed in the Bible, however, the emotions people feel (in particular situations) such as helplessness, courage, devotion, laws/rules etc. are addressed in the Bible. I would recommend interpreting some of the readings we are familiar with and see how that is fitted into personal/real life situations and conflicts. The 10 Commandments are a perfect example of how to interpret what the Bible is saying into our daily lives. With that, basically relating what is found in the book to our personal lives is how I believe Christians are able to keep the faith.

Anonymous said...

Like liv4 him was saying i think the spectrum is very broad. The Bible does address every situation, maybe not specifically but its values can apply to every situation and can be used as a guideline. As for cloning, the Bible teaches that God is the only creator and nothing else good has ever come from people trying to play God. You just need to be more open when reading and try to realize everything that it is saying. Overall God has every answer you will ever need, just keep reading and praying.

Deanna Johnson said...

I really do not think a person should base everything on one book. There are so many other things out there. The Bible is a great book to follow, but there are other sources now people can look at. Take for example the internet. I think that a person who reads the Bible is going to interpret it different from anyone else because it is mostly based on what people believe and feel is the truth. If a person believes in the Bible they are going to follow the Bible. I for one am not sure on what to believe. I really dont follow all things in the Bible because of my uncertainty. Howeverm it does not mean that I commit sins. I guess the Bible can really help some people become one with themselves and have a better life, but it all depends on that person.

Anonymous said...

I feel that the Bible is yours to interpret however you want to. I also don't think you should base every belief you have around one book. You should form your own opinions; if they happen to coincide with the bible, fine.

Anonymous said...

I believe that a lot of things are actually a lot clearer then we think and i just think people like to twist the words around and make up different ways to interprete things. But i believe in general lots of issues are clear and we just dont like how they are so we change them. But i believe if we are ever confused about an issue i know that we are to look to God for help just by praying and He will answer us and help us when we need him. Like it says in Matthew 7:8 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. I believe that refers to just praying and asking God to help you and He will.

manga said...

As we know it from history, the whole Bible, Old and New Testament'events, took place in Israel or specifically with hebrews.

manga said...

As we know it from history, the whole Bible, Old and New Testament'events, took place in Israel or specifically with hebrews. And we also know that the hebraic culture is far different from ours and that makes the Bible difficult to really fit in our lives or i can say societies. Many laws in deuteronomy is given to hebrews in relation to the style of life they adopted and God wanted them to change and many of those laws doesn't fir in today's society.
The factor time also have great impact on this matter of interpreting the bible. In the bible time, they were no pills to help birth control and therefore nothing is said in the bible whether if it is sinful to rely pills to control biths. I don't know if there is such a verse which states that women should or should not consider taking medicaiton to avoid giving birth at certain moment for the sake of financial problems. God when he created His earth, HE said to Adam and Eve that they had the power to multiply and fill the earth. He didn't tell them to multiply with precaution. however, the situation we have now is very different to that of Adam and Eve. They did not have to have money to raise their children. God gave them the earth to work on and find everything they may need to survive and feed their offspring. they could have more than 10 children, there would still have resources to feed them. But today, no one can suicide himself to have more than 10 children even 4 or 5 because he or she would have to think of feeding them, clothing, education and that requires lots of money and if he or she doesn't have good incomes, the best choice for him/her life will be birth control. This is not the only controversy according to the time in relation to how we should size the bible. there are many others that make the bible difficult to incorporate into our lives.

Anonymous said...

The fact of the matter is that there is no right way to interpret the Bible so I think it is trivial to worry about it. People are always going to interpret things in different ways, it's inevitable, just like when someone says something and five different people can take it five completely different ways. Read the Bible, find meaning in it, decide for yourself how much authority it has, and look to God for guidance. What I don't like is when people run themselves into the ground trying to validate themselves by using the Bible, interpreting it in a very different way than the people they are trying to argue the point with do. Odds are they aren't going to change the way they interpret the Bible. If you feel you have to validate yourself through the use of Scipture, there might just be something wrong with what you are doing.

Anonymous said...

we live in a world of excuses, the bible for some people is a way of justifying their beliefs. Should a person believe something they no only as scripture when the truth is right in front of them. The world is full of evolution and the bible is always challenged, but our world tests those beliefs to improve ourselves as a whole, isnt that more important? We look mostly at personal character when really the major test to our destruction or beliefs comes from the governments that hold weapons ready to destroy us....why are we not questioning that? i dont believe the bible says that nuclear war heads are going to destroy the earth so i guess that isnt too important.

Anonymous said...

The bible was written to answer some of the questions people were having at the time. I do not believe the bible has the direct answers to all questions, but there are general ideas and ways to figure out how things should be in there. It is all in how you read and interpret what it says. All people interpret the bible differently, but if you critically think about what the bible is saying you will be able to find the answers your looking for. Today people are more into getting a straight answer about something instead of looking for it.

Mandi said...

The Bible is a book many people live their lives by and that’s fine. But we live in a different world than when the Bible was put together. I don't think we should be looking to the Bible for every answer to life’s questions. There are basic guidelines sure, but there is no way the Bible can bring answers on today’s issues. The way each person reads the Bible varies so how can people tell me to live by the Bible. I think it is a little ridiculous and overwhelming to think that we can all live by this book that was put together so long ago. Also, I’m not sure the authors of the Bible intended their books to be put into the Bible and lived by. As far as I’m concerned these people were just writing down their accounts of what was going on. So in conclusion, I don’t think we should look to the Bible for interpretation of today’s problems or questions. I think we should let the Bible be guidelines and that is it.

Anonymous said...

I think that some of the stories are believable but some are almost impossible. It doesn't mean you are a bad person because you don't believe in everything it says but you should look at it critically in order to see what they were trying to get accross to you. In John, they have many names for the LORD and some are the vine, and the light. If you just read it, you would think that they were actually talking about a vine or a light when really they are meaning the LORD. People tend to rely on the bible maybe sometimes too much then neccesary. People think what they bible says is what we should do in life. But today, it has changed from back in the day. New topics have been brought up and more people are being treated more fairly. The bible is something you should live by but to a certain extent.

jann said...

I agree with majority of the responses to how God is portrayed differently in the New and Old Testaments. Two different perspectives of God, however, does not entirely support the idea of there being only one God. In the Bible I believe God is both authoritative and caring. However, I can understand people who think there to be more than one God simply because of the different Bible interpretations.

Anonymous said...

I hate how confusing the bible can be. You would think it would be simple and it's written in black and white, but it's not. The bible talks about homosexual acts and how it's wrong, but the bible also talks about women as being property, and not equal to men. But what's great is that no matter how you interpret the bible, and no matter if you end up being wrong or right, God will STILL forgive you no matter what, and that's what is most important.

Anonymous said...

I believe that when reading a book that is not clear on an issue, one must not only read that book but also read more than one verse pertaining to that issue. The Bible can be interpreted in many different ways, and one must be ecspecially carefull when reading the Old Testament because some of the rules or laws are just crazy.
When a important issue comes up in your life I think that it is very usefull to go to the Bible. I believe that one should look it up in the back and read about what you are going through.

Anonymous said...

That is a really good and really hard question. I think that you just have to go with what is already in the Bible. I think we have a pretty good example of how to live in this world & even though we're not going to do everything right like Jesus did we have someone to follow. Obviously, Jesus didn't state what to do on everything or how to act in certain ways. I think if you're a Christian just do the best you can do-no one will ever know what's right or wrong on certain issues. I'm just glad we have a loving God that will forgive us no matter what we think on an issue. I think it's sad how we all get hung up on issues that might not be that important & it can divide us from our relationship with God & eachother. I feel that just loving God and those around you is the main thing & as long as we all agree on that we're golden:).

Anonymous said...

People make the mistake of thinking they understand the Bible just because they read it. The Bible is like poetry with hidden meanings that can only be revealed to us by the Holy Spirit. To fully understand what it is saying you have to pray and meditate on the Word. I believe that is why the Bible is often misused in arguements. If you just want to take random quotes you can probably justify anything, even killing. I mean there are places where it says wealthy is bad, like the '...eye of needle...' quote. In other places it says the Lord wants us to be rich and wealthy. Taken out of context, both of these can be used to back an arguement.
So even if the Bible was written a long time ago, if it is interpreted the right way it is still relevant to this day and will be forever more.

Anonymous said...

I think the bible can answer some questions people have, but i also think that the bible does not have answers for each and every question you have. Like when the bible said you should not have sex before marriage, people make an argument about the bible's answer all the time, a lot of people infises on this. We all know a lot of people have not obeyed this rule.

Anonymous said...

In my opinion, we cannot rely on the Bible to be able to have an answer to all of today's questions. Some of the topics mentioned in the blog, like cloning, were probably never even thought of in the age that the Bible was written. How can you for for an answer to a question when the question didn't come into existence until after the bible was written.
But, there may also be a possibility that it may be hidden in the Bible passages. If the Bible was meant to be understood without thinking, it would have been written that way to being with.

Anonymous said...

You are always able to find references in the Bible, even if they are subtle. The Bible can't help tell you how to live life. You need to do what you think is right and ask yourself if God would approve. Everyone has their own opinion and morals. Until the Judgement Day, we will not know how well we truly did.

Anonymous said...

I have really never read the Bible so I'm not really completely sure what issues are not particularly clear in the Bible. However what I do wish that the Bible would change is on some issues such as homosexuality, divorce, and pre marial sex. All of these issues are very much frowned upon in the Christian faith and it seems apparent that if committed, you will no longer be guarnteed entrance to heaven. We are all only human and we all do the best we can with our choices that we have to make each day. We are not perfect, we are just who we are and that's it.

Anonymous said...

While, I have my own way of interpreting the bible; I would be extremely open minded to the beliefs of many other religious beliefs. I do not read the bible that often for personal benefits; I believe that Jesus died for us, and the coming judgment day, which I look forward too.

Anonymous said...

I don’t look for any answers when I have a trouble and need some help, because I’m not a Christian. However, I think that the Bible could be one of the tools to find out the answer by ourselves. In my opinion, each person has different morals and views about social issues, and the Bible can just give us one of the ways to think about these things. It means that it is similar to discuss with other people to share opinions. Some people will be greatly influenced what the Bible says, and others will not. It also depends on how people interpret the bible. I think that people must think about themselves about these issues ultimately.