(This blog entry is worth 20 pts and will cover the Exodus and the Covenant themes.)
Long before the exodus, God made a covenant with Abraham: "I will establish my covenant between me and you, and your offspring after you throughout their generations, for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and to your offspring after you. And I will give to you, and to your offspring after you, the land where you are now an alien, all the land of Canaan, for a perpetual holding; and I will be their God" (Gen 17:7-8). After the exodus from Egypt, on Mt. Sinai, God said to the people of Israel, "Now therefore, if you obey my voice and keep my covenant, you shall be my treasured possession out of all the peoples. Indeed, the whole earth is mine, but you shall be for me a priestly kingdom and a holy nation" (Exodus 19:5-6).
The Exodus story is about freedom: freedom from slavery in Egypt under Pharaoh, freedom to worship God, freedom to work the land and provide a legacy for future generations. The Bible says that God chose the people of Israel to be a special, holy people, dedicated to worshiping God and to living as a community of faith in a land filled with non-Israelites. But in order to live in that land they needed first to escape slavery in Egypt and defeat the "foreigners" already living in the promised land. The Exodus story has provided hope for many people. During WWII, Jews, who believe very strongly in their covenant relationship with God, found hope that they would one day escape their imprisonment and flee to Israel to live on the land that was promised to their ancestors. During the 1800's, African-American slaves based their hopes for freedom on the Exodus story. Their music especially reflects their hope for freedom (www.negrospirituals.com).
But it must also be said that the Exodus/covenant story in the Old Testament has also caused some problems. For example, because the Jews believe that Israel is their promised land and that they are the chosen people, the Palestinian people (descendants of the Canaanites) have suffered death and destruction of their land. In addition, black South Africans were brutalized for centuries because white South Africans believed that South Africa was their promised land and that the "unbelieving black 'Canaanites'" needed to be conquered. One black South African says this: "Protestations to the effect that white people are misusing the Bible have neither empowered black people to deliver themselves from this white slavery nor successfully explained to anybody, except the beneficiaries of apartheid, why such a tradition of conquest exists in the Bible in the first place. My contention is that the only adequate and honest explanation is that not all the Bible is on the side of human rights or of oppressed and exploited people" (http://gbgm-umc.org/umw/joshua/apartheid.html). The problem is made even worse when one takes into consideration that in the New Testament Jesus becomes the new covenant and Christians become the chosen people. Many wars have been fought throughout the centuries because Christians believe in their superiority over peopl of other faiths.
What do you think? Is God on the side of all people, regardless of their "chosen" status? How do you know? What does the Bible say? What if you were to put yourself in the place of the "other"? How do you think you might read the Exodus/covenant story if you were a different color, ethnicity, or faith? In this multi-cultural, globally conscious world, who are the "foreigners" and are they truly the enemies? (Remember, this entry is worth 20 pts; think before you type!)
50 comments:
God, or whatever deity a person believes in, should be on the side of all people. Good and bad things happen to all different groups of people. Everyone suffers, everyone feels joy; God doesn't discriminate based on something you can't help, like race. I don't believe in a "chosen" group of people. If that belief never existed, so many wars and acts of discrimination could have been prevented. If there's something or an idea that I don't know anything about, I consider that to be foreign. Just because something or someone is different doesn't mean it should be avoided.
Monopolytheism, yay. The idea that there is one deity that has many names. I believe in this, and I don't believe there is a "chosen" race. I have never put a lot of faith into the actual writings in the Bible, and this kind of adds to that. People will believe anything, and when this book is pushed and pushed, people will fight for it. This is why I don't think God (or whatever the name may be) had much to do with this piece of literature. I see God as someone who would want peace, not 'Hey, see that piece of land, go smite those who have lived there for how know how long, and then take it over because you think you are the chosen people in a mostly fictional and very bias book.' We all need to chill a little and just be happy for what we do have and where we do live instead of trying to pick fights and start arguements over nothing. Thanks...
I don't think status has anything to do with it. I believe God loves every one equally, regardless of color, ethnicity, class, etc. It's not about these things, it's about whether or not we choose to live our lives for Him. There are different verses in the Bible that tell us that God doesn't care about those things. He is no respecter of persons. Ephesians 6:8-9 says "And, masters, do the same to them. Stop threatening them, for you know that both of you have the same Master in Heaven, and with Him there is no partiality." When we choose to commit our lives to Him and live the way He would have us live, we then walk in His favor. The Bible also tells us that God created us in His own image. The beginning of Genesis 1:26 says "Then God said "Let us make mankind in our image, according to our likeness." Genesis 1:27 says " So God created mankind in His image, in the image of God He created them." Genesis 9:6 tells us " Whoever sheds the blood of a human, by a human shall that person's blood be shed; for in His own image, God made mankind." This tells me, if He created mankind in His image, then He created us equally, therefore, He is on the side of all people, regardless of their "chosen" status. However, I still hold that those that make the decision to live their lives for Him, walk in His favor. I believe this applies to all colors, ethnicity, and faiths. I'm not quite sure who the "foreigners" are, but if they live their lives for God, they are not the enemy.
I believe God is not discriminating, He does not select one "chosen" group of people and consider them the best. God loves everybody, and as long as you believe in Him and worship Him you are one of his people. I think people are too quick to judge others and take it upon themselves to say that they are better than others just because they consider them inferior. Those who think they are better than one of a different race, faith, or ethnicity truly aren't acting as God's people anyway. I think the Exodus story is a good story but people relate it to their personal situations way to frequently. Just because there is a person you don't like it doesnt mean that they are not a "chosen" one. People need to stop judging others so much and take a look at their own behavior.
I think God is on the side of all believers. The only reason we have different races is because of sin. When the people tried to build a tower to reach heaven, God seperated the people into different races so they couldn't communicated with each other. Also, the reason God made the Jews the chosen people is because they were mistreated by others and they never got what they deserved. However, the Bible does justify war and God Himself kills the non-believers and has them killed. God flooded the whole world because people weren't living for Him, but spared Noah and his family because they believed and followed Him. Therefore, I think that the believes are also the chosen peole of God. If I put myself into the "others" position I wouldn't be a believer, therefore, I wouldn't actual believe the Bible so this passage would ultimately have not effect on me. I think the Exodus story can be used for hope to all races and ethnicities. The purpose of the Bible is not to discriminate against others, however, that's what we as humans make it out to be. I think the Bible should mean the same thing to everyone who reads and believes it. It might be interpurated differntly, but the basis concept should still come out of it. Therefore, I think they actual foreigners in this world are the non-believers who aren't living for God. However, I don't think they are the enemies because they can become saved. I think that the believes should be carefully around they so they don't corrupt them, but we should still love them and treat them with respect.
It's purely common sense to believe God is on the side of all people. If it was any other way it would be hypocritical. However if I was in the position of that of the "other" it would obviously be disheartening. The message of everyone is equal and God loves us all is constantly preached. Thus to read the Exodus in the position of an "other" would leave nothing but a sense of helplessness. And finally, in this context the "foreigners" are those who were apparently not fortunate enough to be chosen by God himself. Of course they're not "truly the enemies", the only true enemies are ourselves and our need to plug our own personal biases as the "right way" or what "actually" took place.
I believe god is on the side of all people no matter what race they are. Jesus was the one who allowed all to be with him. He was the one sacrificed for all of us, not just the Jews. The covenant story would fell wrong to me if I was a different race. I would not even bother reading the Bible if I was a different faith. The reasoning behind this is that no matter what faith you are the outsider is the one with a different faith. most faiths would say this. But of course that other faith person could be converted to your faith. All faiths are cult-like because we follow blindly and will listen to our cult leader/pastor, priest, etc.
That god has a plan for everyone in the long run and makes people be torchered so that others will be free. Jesus died for all the sins of people and made them believe in God so everyone will be free. Just like the slaves and the jews during World War 2. God is on everyone side as long as they do good and not bad to things and people. Making people the chosen one is not what God wants.(Exodus 19:5-6) we are all in Gods plan. The enemies are the people who say there is no God and there is no heaven, but anyone can get into heaven god or evil God chooses.
I do believe god is inside all people even though they might not believe in all the same thing. We are inspired by the people in the bible because they are all fighting for the same thing and that is freedom from opression. The bible says that the Jews were being persecuted by the Egyptians and that God said to his desciples that they would be free to live in the Promise Land. If I was an African American I would see the struggle for freedom as inspirataion to show that I to will eventually be free and go back to the promise land. The struggle the Jews had is proof that freedo is worth fighting for.In today's world, I am not sure who the "foreigners" are. They have been scattered all over the world and nobody seems to be at a place where they do not feel loke they could live. I do know that the Native Americns are still tying to fight back for the land that they lost. They are not enemies because they are living in society today and doing quite well with the government helping to pay for some of their land. We have learned to get along with all ethnicities.
I know that God does not discriminate based on ethnicity, color, etc. He loves us all! That's why he sent his perfect son to die for our sins on the cross. John 3:16-. This Exodus story is meant for everyone because God wants all of us to believe in him. That's his goal. As Christians we should try to live a life for Jesus and hopefully by being a good example others will follow regardless of their religion. However, it doesn't mean for Christians to think that they or any other religion can take others out. I think that God is all about love and relationships. There is no way that I can picture Jesus wanting us as Christians to destroy each other because of it.
If I was put in place of the other I am sure that I probably would not understand it unless the holy spirit put it on my heart to know. I think that it is our responsibility as Christians to share what the story is about-but not in a bad way. I honestly don't think that there are any foreigners or "enemies" in this context. I also believe that people are evil and they can twist the words of the Bible and use them to their advantage and that is what can be so unfortunate about the Exodus story.
I would like to believe that God would be on the side of all people but he isn't he is only on the side of the people that believe in him in the way he expected them to. God put people in there status for a reason and that doesn't give other people who want that status a right to change it. The reason that you should be able to change anything is if god says so himself which is what he told abraham. If i was a different ethnicity i don't think that it would change the way i would go about changing the way i think about it. There should be no foreigners but there is and really everyone is a foreigner at some time. The only foreigners are the people who don't believe in God, because everyone else should be a child under God.
I think that the God’s “chosen” people are everyone on Earth because God wants everyone to ask Him to come into their hearts. To the world though, I think that all people who have decided to let God into their heart (Christians) seem like His “chosen ones”. But, I think that because of this “chosen status”, God is on the side of everyone because he loves everyone no matter what. John 3:16 says, “For God so loved the world…” I think that means the world and everyone in it. He may not like what some people do, but He still loves them. If I was a racial minority, I think that I would be comforted by the Exodus story and knowing that God loves everyone. In the world today, I think “foreigners” are really anyone who is different from yourself and sometimes, you may see them as the enemy.
I feel that God is on the side of all people. He created us and set forth guidlines for us to follow. Those who choose to worship the Lord and not follow or worship other gods have the Lord in their hearts and God knows that. God accepts everyone, however, we not him chose to believe or not believe. If you choose to worship the Lord you are chosen, if not (by no fault of his own) you cannot be chosen because you wouldn't believe in it in the first place. Today, people are becoming more tolerant of other religions and beliefs. Are these people truly the enemies? No, but because of thier beliefs they will not have the same ending as those who believe in God when they die.
I do believe that God is on everyone side because there are many versus discussing God's unconditional love for us. And he proved it to us by sending his son to die on the cross for everyone. it says in 1 John 4:9-11 By this the love of God was manifested in us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world so that we might live through Him. In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. We cannot find this type of love in anything or anyone. Even when we dont love God or even believe in him he loves us. So not only does he loves us but wants us to love everyone to. When it comes to reading the things like the exodus i dont think i would it differently because there are christians in all races and in all types of different cultures. I believe that the foreigners to us as americans would be anyone not from our country, or as it seems sometimes, when minorities. That's why it seems like racial profiling is still really big. But the only enemies we have are just the ones that we seem to be fighting. But other then that God says to love everyone and thats what we should do.
God saved the israelites from eygpt because they were slaves of the people of eygpt, i believe God also helped the african american people become free and believe in freedom through the Exodus stroy just like he did for israel. God does not want other people thinking that they are better then others, this offends him cause once people try to act like there a God, as we all know there is only one God. God does not pick sides he just wants people to believe in him and treat him with respect because he is the creator. Foreigners are anyone who trys to take God away and place other people or things first. People that want control of the whole world are foreigners and they should be considered enemies.
There are so many sides which can be taken in dealing with this subject. On one hand you can say that only the jews (God's chosen people) are owed the Promise Land, than on the other hand you say that God has the Land for all sides. I feel that it really depends on how how you look at the passages, and your heritage (in your beliefs or your religous background) plays a big role in that. I myself feel that God is on all of our sides, by that i mean all of us who have accepted Him as your personnal savoir. The way I see it things changed during the New and Old Testament once Jesus died for our sins, we were all able to become children of God, we were able to become Gods chosen.
that is my comment above Chris Daniels
i believe that God is on the side of all people. he told us that everyone was created equal no matter what your race or ethnic is. But if i was one of the others i might look at this differently though because he did promise them the promise land and too them that means it belongs to them, but in this day and age nothing is promised to you no matter who you are because no one is greater than the other.
I think God is on the side of all people who have faith in him regardless of their "chosen" status. The Bible says those with the "chosen" status will be special, holy people as long as they have great faith and worship God. If I had a different faith I would read the exodus story very differently. I would read it and think that God only sees those "chosen" people as special, holy people and is not on my side because I do not have that status.
I believe that God choses who to side with. He constantly speaks of "his" people in the bible, and so that excludes a lot of people. God also says that if you aren't with him, you are sinning against him. In the place of the "other", generally speaking, you have another supreme being of some sort that you believe in, so you don't worry about the Christian god... I think reading the exodus story from the perspective of another color/ethnicity, the story might somewhat represent your cultural/racial fight for freedom in a legal sense (African-Americans fighting for equal rights). Reading the exodus from another faith would, in my opinion, be like a story time. If we read the works of, say a Wiccan, we wouldn't think it made any sense to us. Its their book, it works for them, but holds no relevance to us. Why would a Buddhist care to read and analyze the Exodus, or the bible as a whole?
The bible is a Christian book, it effects Christians, but beyond that, it is irrelevant for the most part.
Now a days I believe that God is on everyone's side. He stands behind all groups of people. If a person is of a different religion, they don't know God is there, so the just push him aside. When we acknowlege that we believe in him, and that he is with us, then we cannot be stopped. Status has nothing to do with who God decides to help out. God was not so forgiving in the Old Testament. He would smite people down for the slightest sin. I think the Exodus story is a great story for hope. You can apply yourself in any situation in the Exodus story, and get hope out of it. Sometimes, that's all you need to stay alive, and to keep going. Hope has saved many people. The Foreigners are those to have heard the Jesus story, but they toss it away. Those who turn away from God, they turn their back on him, out of selfishness. And, like Moses loved Pharoh, we must love our enemies as well. We must try as hard as possible, like Moses, to try and turn those to do not believe, into believers.
The first thing is, God is in the side of all people. God made the heavens and the earth and made all people. Yes, the Israelites are the chosen people, but in the temple, there were different places where the different people should worship. There were the place for the men, the priests and also the gentiles. And I believe that we are gentiles, jew or not. Even if the Israelites are the chosen people, there would be no reason for God to not love. In the New Testament, it is says, Anyone who believes in God will inherit the Kingdom of God (John 3:16).
For me, when reading the exodus story, it is always something i take into perspective of God, and what He shows through it. The foreigners are all of those who are not Jew, but that does not make a difference, God still show's his faithfulness and grace with everyone, no matter what, because of Jesus Christ and the new covenant.
God is on the side of all the people that believe in him. God even says in the bible, you can only go to heaven if you truly believe in Jesus and God himself. So, if you are born under a different religion, I guess they would have to convert in order to go to heaven. If I were a different religion and read Exodus, I might think about it a little bit before calling it complete b.s.
i wouldn't presume to know what Gods thoughts are, but if god has chosen a people then god is not on the side of all people. but how do we know if we are the descendants of Abraham? since they ares supposed to be as numerous as the stars most people have a good chance.
if i were another, i would of course read the story as if it applied to me. no one wants to be left out of heaven. the foreigners are just people we do not understand, and that should not immediately make them our enemy. we should focus on the devil who is everyones enemy and stop squabbling between ourselves.
I believe that everyone is created equal, as said so in the Bible. However God did promise them the land, but because of the Isrealites sin they had to wander the land because they doubted God. I believe the war going on to this day between the two is God punishing them because they didn't believe so God wasn't going to give them the land, and they still don't have the land.
If I would be on the other side, and I was not a Christian, of course I would be mad because people don't like being less than other people.
I would say in today's day and age the foreigners would be the middle eastern suicide bombers that kill themselves for Alah.
I believe that God is on everyone's side, and supports and helps everyone, no matter what their backround is, race, or their economic status. If I were put in the place of the other people, people who are different then me, I would probably believe that white or caucasian people have more of an advantage in life because history has proven this theory. I don't think I would think differently if I were a different color or ethnicity. If I were a different faith, I believe I would think differently, I would probably believe the same thing as my faith. I believe that the foreigners in this world are those who are not Christian, who have different beliefs other than those that pertain to the bible. I don't think that they are enemies, unless they interfere and threaten the lives of other people.
I believe that God is on all people side, doesn't matter what color, race or gender. I don't know this for sure but, but if I was put in the place of the Jews I would feel the same way I did with the way my ancestors had to deal with slavery, by wishing to go to the promise land. Honestly I cant really can't say how I would read the Exodus story because, many people in many different races think differently and have different opinions on the story. I also cant say who are the "foreigners", but I wouldn't consider them as mine or anyone else's enemy.
Personally, I think God is "on the side" of all of his creation. He is everyone's father, he loves and cares for every single person, but of course he wants everyone to love and follow Him in return. I'm not so sure any particular group of people (post new covenant)is a chosen people. As our father, I think he loves everyone the same but looks more favorably on those who follow Him and recognize the sacrifice of His son for their sake. As a father he might not look favorably upon those who do not follow Him or for that matter acknowledge Him but does that jeopordize His love for them? I don't believe so. But just like every other part of the Bible, I think the Exodus story is up to the individual to interpret. There is nothing wrong with individuals or groups clinging to the story as a source of hope but when it is used as justification for violence against others it goes against the rest of the Biblical teachings.
I think that God is on all of our sides. I think this because he is the one that said to respect the neighbors. Why would he say that if he did not care for all of us. If he did not make a commandment to respect the neighbors and things, then he would not care for all of us and not be on all of our sides. However, I think he is mostly on the sides that have faith and believe in him. He has more passion for those who respect his authority and they honor and obey his commandments. However, I think he may have less faith and less being on the sides of those who are not of his faith and those who do not obey him. Reading it in a different way may get me upset. I might ask why is he favoring them more than others who really do need him. I guess I am not too sure about it though. I think i would be upset with it. Yet, maybe i could see his point if i had more information on it. I guess i really do not know who the foreigners would be. I guess for us it would be basically anyone outside our country. Especially the terrorists. Terrorists, however, would be more of our enemies. I guess I just never really thought about who would the foreigners be. however, I do think it would be those who do not live in the United States. The enemies would be those who reak destruction against America.
I believe that God treats everyone equally. I dont think its a certain group that he treats special. I think that this is another thing that is over analyzed in the bible. People question the Bible to much. You cant really blame the Jews for believing that Israel is there promise land mainly because thats what many of them was brought up to believe. Im just coming to realize that maybe these passages have alittle to do with the battles that were going on in Jordan and Israel
I feel that God is on the side of all people who are obident to his word. Those who tend to lead to their own understanding and live their life in the world's view aren't probably in the best favor with God. Most people know about God so to act as if it is not important to read and learn more i believe is a problem. I would read the covenant with my own understanding but also believeing what i was taught from those who are my elders. So if i was Jewish then I would believe that the holy land is Israel. I feel that no one is the enemy its people and the perception or jealousy that they have of one another that makes it where someone is look down upon.
I feel that God doesn't pick sides he loves everyone equally. I know this because constantly in the Bible Jesus and other people who were close to God talked to and tried to convert many people who did not believe in God. If God had picked sides I think that if he picked sides he would have just forgot about people who did not believe in God's wonderful power. On the other side of that God does sometimes pick sides in the Bible like the Exodus story. He picked against Egypt and sent the plagues to them. I think if I were a different color or ethnicity the Exodus story might be more inspirational. It would probably have more meaning in my life because i would have to deal with some of the stuff they went through.
I think that God is on the side of all people, because we are his children. However, I feel that God may not always agree with our choices and judgments that we make everyday of our lives. But he is able to forgive us for our sins because we are only human and are not perfect. In terms of what the Bible may say, I'm not quite certain but the best example I can give is a line from the Lord's prayer. It says,"and forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us.." This goes to exactly what I had said regarding that we make mistakes, and choices, not always good ones but we are only human. I think that once and awhile we need to put ourselves in other people's shoes. Sometimes we forget that other people may be going through something that we don't know or don't understand, but by trying to put yourself into their shoes, it gives you a better perspective as to how they may be feeling or what they may be going through. In terms of me and how I might read the Exoduc/covenant sotry if I were a different color, ethnicity, or faith I think I would perhaps be more close minded. I would have to say that in this world the "foreigners" could be anyone in all honesty regardless of being the same faith or beliefs or whatever. I think that in a way we all have our own "enemies" and we make them through and because of different circumstances.
I personally believe that the Bible should not be read literally. If you were to read the Bible literally you'd discover that nobody would fit the description of the "choosen people". We need to look into the meanings of the stories in the Bible. We, as christians, should not try and interpert the Bible for other people, but rather read it individually. Let the historians attempt to decipher the "hidden meanings". The Bible is the "Word of God" and he is talking to each of us individually.
We are all children of God. God is on the side of His children, which is all of us. In John 3:16, it says "For God so loved the world...'. Not For God so loved the people of Israel or any other race or kind. Anyone who lives according to Gods rules will be in favor with God, it is based on an individual choice rather than groups or race of people. The Lord often refers to Himself as our Shepard, who goes looking for sheep that have gone astray and when the sheep are found the angels in the heavens rejoice. Meaning that just because you are not living accordingly or God is not on your 'side' it does not mean you are cast aside and are about to feel the wrath of God.
With regards to the Exodus and basically the Old Testament, I believe that this was a period of time when the people of Israel were physically under attack by non people who opposed God. They were out to not only disprove God but to 'disgrace' God. In this situation I can understand God taking the side of the people that have faith in Him. But i dont feel that this applies in the modern day because those who are not Christians are not engaged in taking over the land of the Christians because everyone lives together with tolerance whereas in the Old Testament days they lived separately. So if i lived at a time where there was clear separation or division between people such as during slavery days, then i would for sure interpret the Bible the same way as God is on my side, and they would be the foreigners. Regarding the word foriegners, i like to think of it in its simplest meaning, which is if you are from another country and are living somewhere else then you are a foreigner, like me for example. I beleive it sholud be in terms of country rather than belief.
I FEEL THAT GOD MADE EVERYONE EQUAL WHICH ALSO IN THE BIBLE IT IS SAID THAT EVERYONE IS MADE EQUAL. SENSE GOD PROMISED THE LAND BUT THE ISRIALITS SINED SO THEY HAD TO WONDER THE LAND CAUSE THEY DIDNT BELEIVE IN GOD. I THINK THAT IF I WAS PROMISED SOMETHING FRO SOMEONE AND DIDNT GET IT I WOULD NOT TRUST IN THEM EITHER. IF YOU WERE THEM IT WOULD KIND OF FELL THAT YOU WERE NOT EQUAL TO EVERYONE ELSE CAUSE YOU ARE KIND OF GETTING THE SHAFT IN THE WHOLE THING.
Personally I do think God can be on the side of anyone, not to say that he necessarily will be. I'd like to believe that regardless of the 'tag' of your religious preference, your individual actions and character is more important. Who is called by some Elijah, others call Muhammed, others say Jesus, and still others call Him Allah. Maybe we speak of the same person in different languages.... I think Exodus is a model for everybody, meant to apply to anybody that finds themself in that situation. The Bible can apply to so much in the present through examples, without using specifics. I think that God
is on the side of genuinely good people, who remain that through whatever struggles they may face.
Personally I do think God can be on the side of anyone, not to say that he necessarily will be. I'd like to believe that regardless of the 'tag' of your religious preference, your individual actions and character is more important. Who is called by some Elijah, others call Muhammed, others say Jesus, and still others call Him Allah. Maybe we speak of the same person in different languages.... I think Exodus is a model for everybody, meant to apply to anybody that finds themself in that situation. The Bible can apply to so much in the present through examples, without using specifics. I think that God is on the side of genuinely good people, who remain that through whatever struggles they may face.
I believe that God CAN be on the side of anyone and everyone who believes in him, no matter what their "chosen" status is. However, because of an action they take, he can also go against them even if they believe in him. I also strongly agree with the statement that many wars over the past years have been fought because Christians believe in their superiority over people of other faiths. I don't necessarily agree that Christians should begin a war because someone doesn't agree with what they believe. God knows what everyone does, and if people of other faiths don't believe in him or do things that are against him. He will take care of that, he will punish them in some way. I guess if I was a different race and I was reading the Exodus story I may think that this is maybe how peopel got the idea that racism was ok.
It is hard to say to anyone they cannot worship what they see fit. What we have to realize as a world of people is that it is not the religions that get us into these wars, it is an excuse made up by the people. We are all of Gods people, no matter our religion, race, sex or choices, we are people of God. If you believe in a higher being such as God then you need to look at the person sitting beside you, and realize they were created in the same image as you. Equality should be enforced, for who are we as human beings to oppress someone because we do not believe as they do.
The way that people describe God as being like a human is probably because we can not understand God and we don't know another way to describe it. The stories of certain people's experiences of God have been passed down and people continue to think of God this way. I don't believe that if there is a God it would create everything and then pick a group of people to take the side of. The Bible describes God as being humanlike and having personality, in my opinion this would make God flawed just like we are. If God valued one group higher than another it would mean that it is right to do so because God is perfect, and we would be wrong to believe in the ideals of equality. But I believe in equality.
I believe God loves everyone equally and God do not choose sides because ethnicity, or the color of your skin. People are going to believe what they were taught, either by their elders, parents, or church they grew up in. So if i was in the place of jews of course i probably would believe that Israel was the promise land of Jews because that what i was taught.
I agree with the above comment. God doesnt look at race or creed. People will belive what they have been taught.
I believe God is on EVERYONE'S side. I believe God created all of us, and He loves all of us. I also believe that just because someone doesn't believe in God doesn't mean He doesn't exist for them (or isn't on 'their side'). Perhaps the people who don't believe in God just need to find God. And, maybe that won't be until they die. I still maintain that God is on the side of the people. If someone doubts that because something bad has happened to them...perhaps it's just because God is testing them. Job had a lot of bad things happen to him, but God was on his side. God will always be there, but sometimes it might not appear that way. I just think in those times when people doubt He is on their side, He is on their side even more than they can imagine. God loves all of us, I have learned that from day one of Sunday School.
I believe that God treats us all the same. I'm not sure how he felt back then but i think things have definately changed since then. In God's eyes we are all his children, no matter what gender, race, or religion, and he loves us all the same; unconditionally
I believe that God is on everyone's side who has faith in him. Those who do not have faith may even be saved with repentance. If I read the Exodus from the different faith point of view I would probably try to disprove it.
I believe god is on everyone's side who believes he is the only god. Those who do not believe will not be saved. So, basically now looking at the blog I am agreeing with Alex Stockseth.
I think that as long as you believe in him, or whatever God you believe in, you are on his side. He will back you if you back him, or at least i think that way. I dont know for sure, and i dont think anyone knows for sure, and i dont think anyone will ever know for sure unless you are up there with him. I dont know how i would take it if i was the "other." i am not on the other side, but if i were to justify it i would have to say that the Exodus/Covenant story was consistent with the times. a lot had changed since back then so you cant expect the bible to always be fair to everything in the present. I am not sure about enemies either. they have their intention and we have our, but i dont know which one is right, or better for that matter. This is a tough conversation...
I don’t think God chooses sides because of their “chosen” status. People give God human characteristics because they cannot understand him totally. If God were to choose sides, then that would be saying one group is right and the others wrong. Everybody grows up believing what they have been taught so everyone has a little bit different beliefs. I don’t think there is truly a right or wrong way to read Exodus/covenant. If I were put in the place of the “other,” I think I would still think the same way but I cannot say for sure because there is no way I could be another race or ethnicity. I don’t think any one is anyone is the enemy even if they are foreign. People are just people to me.
This is what I think, the god in the old testament and the God in the new testament are different Gods in a sense, the old God is mean and punishes people for their sins, while the new God is loving and forgiving all the time, no floods, no burnings, no exodus. I believe that this God was just on the side of the Jews, I mean the old testament is the torah, so it would make sense, I think as long as your a Jew your saved in the old testament but your damned to hell if your any other type of person, I mean thats what makes christianity so inviting to peoples all over the world, cause it is the only religion that regardless of color exsepts you, and says you can be saved, that is what makes it the most popular religion in Rome by the time of its fall right?
Post a Comment